Piazza della Loggia, or simply known as Piazza Loggia, is one of the main squares of Brescia.
Its shape is rectangular, bordered by a series of Venetian era buildings, most notably the Lodge, home of the town hall of Brescia.
Piazza della Loggia was designed in full Renaissance, and towards the end of the fifteenth century began the actual construction.
The square soon became the heart of the city both for its location and for the presence of the Lodge, which began in 1489 under the direction of Filippo Grassi and completed in 1574, will then become the seat of the administrative life of the town over the years.
All around the square there are sixteenth-century Venetian-style buildings.The style is quite modest, but with a strong visual impact, while facing the Loggia, in the eastern side of the square, we can find the arcades also in Renaissance style, surmounted by the “Clock Tower “, so named for the presence of an antique clock in 1546.
Of particular artistic significance, the clock shows on the 4 corners angels in gilded copper in representation of the winds; and 2 male statues made in bronze known in the local dialect as ” macc de le ure” , which mark the daylight hours ringing the bell at the top of the clock.
In the southern side of the square there is the building of the Monte di Pietà, built between 1484 and 1489, which has at the bottom a small Venetian loggia divided into two arches, and the main façade adorned by numerous inscriptions from Roman era, derived from reused archaeological material.The upper part instead consists of a loggia with 7 small arches and a balcony (probably used as a pulpit for orations).
The northeastern branch of the square is a monument to the Bella Italia, built by the hand of the sculptor Giovanni Battista Lombardi in 1864 to replace the Venetian column topped with the lion of St. Mark’s,demolished by the revolutionaries in 1797.